Sunday, November 20, 2016

Translating Expressions

Translating expressions with seventh graders is always tough. This year I found a great resource while searching online to practice: Bingo!
In the past- I have been weary of using Bingo because if you give the students blank cards, there is always the kid that cheats when they write in, the writing in TAKES FOREVER, and then I always end up not using the kids Bingo sheets again (because let's be honest, they are sloppy!)
I have never used EduBakery before and kind of just stumbled upon it. The Translating Bingo has five different versions (depending on what you are teaching). However, the neatest part that I loved was that you tell it how many you want to print and VOILA! the hardest part about Bingo is done (28 randomly assorted cards pop up!). The ease of use this site was amazing! 
They also give you a list of all of the translating expressions used. Here is how I made it work with my class.  I made a quick PowerPoint with a slide with each written expression (ie: n- 7: seven less than a number). Then after making one PowerPoint I just shuffled it so I would have a bunch of different ways to play.




Here is the downfall I found with their version: They use the dreaded DIVISION sign. This may not bother you, however, this year I really try to do away with it and just use the vinculum (the fraction bar). My students didn't have an issue with it, but this was the major downfall of these. 
I printed these on card stock, cut them out and laminated them. I plan to use them next year as well and potentially ask students to write any division sign in another way using dry erase markers on their Bingo cards! 
Overall, this was a very successful review activity! If you don't have counters or bingo chips these are the ones I got off of Amazon.

No comments:

Post a Comment